My personal reflection being on an exchange in Norway.



Being on an exchange in Norway has not left me the same in some aspects of life. I have learnt a lot that even when I start narrating I don’t want to stop. Norway is a country where things that seem to be impossible in my eyes are possible to Norwegians as well as the things I thought are miracles only made by God are made by people instead.
 For example, the behaviors of people, their way of living is so amazing and interesting from my own observation, while at Hald International Center in Mandal, people respect each other’s views, whereby from the top most ranks (principle and teachers) of the school to the bottom(students) every person is respected. For example, the principle of the school asks for evaluation from all the students in case there is anything to change, not waiting only for the teachers reports. Eating on the same table both students, teachers and the principle of the school, those things caught my interests and attentions a lot, meaning everyone is important and helpful in one way or another. Also, at my internship place at the local company the leader he never sits and orders instead he works more than any one. in so doing, it brings a good picture to workers and they are motivated by him and so do I, it reaches a point I am feeling tired and exhausted, but I can’t sit yet he is working this totally differs from my country Uganda where the bosses looks at themselves as superiors and the Gods at work, they only do sitting and ordering for things to be made for them. In so doing, this pushes far way the workers and there is no relationship between the workers and bosses, hence leading to conflicts at work and delay. I therefore think if such conduct can be applied back in my country in different sectors of work, the motivation of people towards work will increase if there wouldn’t be a gap between workers and the boss. The closer the workers get together the more development the organization or company enrich. This is since workers can expose themselves without fear since they are used of you “the boss”. According to my own observation such practices have helped Norway to grow and develop rapidly. Therefore, it’s my wish all development partners in Uganda and our government practice the same or improve the way of supervising workers and other people at work to reach our best. If we want to develop faster we should listen to one another and give respect to every one’s view, work hand in hand and cooperate with the least level of employee example cleaners, security guards etc. within the organization or company, “never look down on others and look at yourself as a superior”.
Norwegians are lucky, their country do not have many challenges of corruption. This also helped their development to speed up, since resources are used effectively in so doing that citizens pay their taxes knowing they will benefit at the end  were money comes back to them in different ways like, constructing good and many different roads which helps in transport system and therefore there is no delay to the work place due to jam, free and good education, free health services all over the country, financial support to people who are not employed and retired people who need support in one way or another.
The weather in Norway seems challenging but usual, reason why I say that is because the country’s weather is too cold in a way I can’t explain it. snow during winter but still people keep working harder and happily, this has motivated and changed my thoughts, meanwhile different weather conditions have never stopped people from working excellently and punctually. But when I see my country’s weather I term it as the best because we have two seasons that is the dry and wet were all the weather conditions favors all working conditions, which can help my fellow Ugandans get out of poverty but still we don’t want to use the God given gift type of weather. They have Norwegian saying that “there is no bad weather but bad clothes” because they have various knowledge to address the problem of weather by wearing proper clothes for both four season of the year which are summer, spring, autumn and winter. therefore, I strongly argue that my fellow Ugandans should copy to the Norwegian saying mentioned above and change our behaviors and perceptions towards work during rainy seasons. This has been so influencing to see. In my opinion, it has influenced development here in Norway.

Conclusively, I hope for a better change when such structures are put in practice to all people concerned like NGOs, government of Uganda, Private sectors and whoever wants development.
I also take an opportunity to thank the almighty who has enabled me to reach my knowledge out there to everyone concerned more so I thank Community Volunteer Initiative for Development (COVOID), Hald International center, Stromme foundation and Norec for the chance they granted me to come to Norway and learn more, God bless you all.

Yours sincere;
Owomugisha Marystuart
omarystuart@gmail.com





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My journey to Norway.

My experience in Norway